I have been trying (somewhat unsuccessfully) to find a way to incorporate quinoa into our meal rotation. First I tried swapping quinoa for brown rice in my chicken fried rice recipe – this was an epic fail. I don’t even think my husband got beyond the third bite and I have to admit I wasn’t too impressed either. Next I tried the quinoa patty recipe in my T25 meal plan. This time I didn’t even attempt to get my husband or my little peanut to try them….I was barely able to make it through both of them myself. It’s not that they were awful, but they weren’t anything I would choose to make or eat again. Then, I found a quinoa pizza bites recipe on Pinterest that looked very promising and with just a few tweaks it was perfect!
This recipe is super quick, easy, healthy and SO YUMMY! Both my toddler and my husband loved these. You can also prep them ahead of time so you can just pop them into the oven and bake them for an even faster work night dinner option.
1/4 cup quinoa
2 large eggs
1 small yellow onion chopped
1 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
3 cloves garlic minced or put through a garlic press
6 leaves fresh basil, finely chopped
1/2 8 oz. bag of pepperoni slices finely diced
1/2 tsp seasoning salt
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp dried crushed oregano
1/8 tsp pepper
pizza sauce for dipping (when I don’t have time to make this from scratch I love Mid’s)
- Preheat oven to 350
- Rinse 1/4 cup quinoa well under running water (you’ll need a strainer for this)
- Add rinsed quinoa to 1/2 cup water in a pot and bring to a boil
- Once boiling reduce to a simmer for 15- 20 mins until fully cooked. Quinoa quadruples in size so you should have 2 cups of cooked quinoa
- Combine all ingredients except the pizza sauce into a bowl and mix thoroughly until all ingredients are well incorporated
- Spoon mixture into a well greased muffin pan. If using a normal size muffin pan fill wells 3/4 to the top; if using a mini muffin pan then fill to the top.
- Slightly press mixture into each well to compact.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes
- Serve with pizza sauce for dipping and enjoy!